Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happiness is...

I normally write on this blog about knitting, yarn, my projects and any finished items that I have made but recently I have done more thinking about knitting than actually doing it.
Not planning projects, yarn or designs but really thinking about what this "hobby" means to me and if I want to take it further and make it more of my life than it really is.

I recently went to a talk by Karren Brady, Managing Director of Birmingham Football Club which was called "Playing To Win", the name also of her current book. She said - "Work is only work if you would rather be doing something else"; she takes no sick time and hardly any holiday and is by all accounts a business superwoman. Well, quite frankly, I would rather be doing something else when I am at work the only problem is I am not sure what yet.

What I do know is that for me knitting is pure happiness. The big question is, however, is that because I do it in my spare time and it's something that I choose to do? Would it be pure happiness if knitting, yarn, needles, patterns etc. were my life's work?

I've never thought I was a creative person. I failed miserably at art at school, can't draw for toffee. The job I do is in a creative industry but it's a logical methodical job. Funnily enough, I only got back into knitting in the last 2 years after a 15 year hiatus because it helped me give up smoking! Having said all of that I do think that what I do is creative in it's own way and I want to do more of it.

Now I am more confused than ever..... I need someone to point me in the right direction... Is anyone out there??

1 comment:

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

I know how you feel, I too like knitting very much, and have now venture into doing it as a sort of business as well (besides my studies)... but would I continue to love it, if it were "all" my work?
I don't know...